. hemp hearts .
27/05/2011 11:02 PM
| COMMENTS (5)
Today a girlfriend (thank you Julie) introduced me to Hemp Hearts - they are shelled hemp seeds.
They are very small (about the size of a sesame seed), areVERY high in protein and are quite tasty. They taste like a mix between sunflower seeds and peanuts.
Because they have one of the highest concentrations in nature of protein, healthy fats, vitamins and enzymes - effectively a SUPER FOOD.
How Hemp Hearts Compare to Other Foods
Health Benefits of Hemp Hearts
- They contain more required amino acids (protein) than milk, meat or eggs
- They are more balanced and digestible than Soy products
- They contain several times more Omega-3's than any fish
- They provide more energy than energy bars and without the sugar or saturated fats
Nutritional Information: 5 Tbsp = 25.9grams of HEALTHY fats, 5.9grams of carbohydrates, 5grams of dietary fiber & 20grams of protein!!
- lowering blood pressure because of their anti-inflammatory properties
- decreasing risk for colon and prostate cancer
- aid in digestion & relieve the symptoms associated with indigestion
- reduce cravings for sugars and other stimulants (hemp hearts are actually known to suppress appetite as well as reduce cravings)
- they are FULL of Omega-6 and Omega-3 healthy fats
- lowering cholesterol (& therefore preventing heart disease) because of their high phytosterol content
- there are no known allergies and so people who are gluten sensitive, can't eat nuts, wheat, dairy, etc ... can still eat hemp hearts
Ways to Use Hemp Hearts
Recommended Daily Intake
- Add to ANY baking recipe or substitute for nuts (I'd just add them as well)
- Use to 'bread' meats in place of bread-crumbs
- Eat off a spoon - they are tasty as is ...
- Add to shakes, yogurts, cereals, wraps, salads, condiments (ie/ mix into mustard)
- You can blend them with some cocoa powder into a raw nut butter for toast
- My girlfriend likes to cut a papaya in half, spoon in some yogurt and top with hemp hearts ... YUMMY!
FYI - For those of you thinking about Mary Jane ... hemp and marijuana are both part of the cannabis family but hemp doesn't contain the 'purple-haze' inducing compounds.
- 3-5 tablespoons for adults and 3-5 teaspoons for children
I've only known about them for about 8 hours and I'm sold. You can pick them up at some grocery stores and at most health food stores. I'm picking mine up tomorrow!! Bring on the hemp hearts!!
Cooking, Food, Health